The recipe provided here is by Singaporean pastry chef Cheryl Koh who helms French patisserie, Tarte by Cheryl Koh. Chef Cheryl is known for her style of working with fresh, seasonal fruit – an approach to pastries she applies at two-Michelin-starred Les Amis where she heads the dessert section.
While the recipe itself calls for several elements, the procedure is relatively straightforward even for the beginner cook. It does however call for the mastery of making pastry cream – a basic pastry-making technique. For this the only tips chef Cheryl has are to use “good ingredients (milk, eggs, sugar, flour) and use clean and appropriate-sized saucepans and utensils. “She adds: the milk should be boiling before pouring into the egg yolk mixture.”
Here’s the entire recipe.
1. 34g Butter
2. 25g Icing sugar
3. 14g Almond powder
4. 11g Eggs (one egg = approx 50g)
5. 56g Cake flour
1. Paddle butter and icing sugar until mixed
2. Add eggs and paddle until combined
3. Add almond powder and flour and mix until evenly combined
4. Flatten the dough and cling wrap, refrigerate for 6 hours
5. Roll the cold dough into a thin sheet and cut into circles slightly bigger than the mould
6. Line the tart moulds with the dough
7. Bake at 180C for 18 minutes, until golden brown
8. Remove the tart shells from the moulds and allow them to cool
Vanilla Pod to taste
16g Egg Yolk
1. Weigh vanilla, cream and milk into a pot
2. Weigh cornflour, yolk and sugar into a bowl and whisk until well combined
3. Heat the milk mixture until it starts steaming
4. Pour half the heated milk mixture into the yolk mixture and whisk until combined
5. Pour the mixture back into the pot
6. Bring the custard to a boil and whisk for 7mins at medium heat
7. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter until completely combined
8. Chill the pastry cream
1. 120g Pastry cream
2. 40g Cream
1. whisk the cream to soft peak stage
2. Soften the pastry cream by whisking it, then use a spatula to fold in the cream.
1. Fill the baked tart with the Crème Diplomat till it reaches the top.
2. Arrange cut strawberries in desired design.
Recommended reading: Get more recipes here.